Wilson strikes twice as Helston defeat Falmouth again

By Joseph Macey

24th Aug 2022 | Local News

Falmouth's Hutchison chases after a through ball. Matt Friday/Cornwall Sports Media.
Falmouth's Hutchison chases after a through ball. Matt Friday/Cornwall Sports Media.

By Matt Friday - Cornwall Sports Media

Rubin Wilson scored twice as Helston Athletic defeated Falmouth Town 2-1 at Kellaway Park for the second time in three days, writes Matt Friday.

After Rikki Shepherd's late brace secured victory for the Blues in their FA Cup preliminary round tie on Saturday, it was strike partner Wilson who secured the points for Matt Cusack's side in their Western League meeting on Tuesday night.

Wilson put the home side in front shortly before the hour with a close-range finish before former Helston man Alex Wharton appeared to rescue a point for Town late on, only for Wilson to instantly restore his side's lead seconds after the restart.

There was no way back for Falmouth this time as they slumped to their sixth consecutive league defeat to Helston, who now join their rivals on seven points with a game in hand.

Tim Nixon had the first opportunity of a quiet first half for Town when he skewed a shot wide inside the opening minute, with Cam Hutchison's wayward strike the only other effort of note for the visitors.

Helston grew into the game as the half wore on, with Jordan Copp shooting narrowly over Ryan Barnes' bar before Blue skipper Josh Storey nodded wide from a corner.

The visitors saw a huge chance to take the lead pass them by early in the second half. Andreas Calleja-Stayne found himself in plenty of space at a corner but nodded over the bar from Nixon's delivery.

That came back to bite Town as Helston took the lead just before the hour. Copp went on a marauding run into Town territory and saw his shot saved by Barnes, with Wilson on hand to drill the rebound into the net from close range.

Wilson was keen on adding to his and his side's tally and saw his next effort strike the inside of the post a few minutes later, with Barnes saving the in-form frontman's next strike.

Town weathered the storm and finally levelled the score with eight minutes to play. Luke Brabyn strode into the Helston box and drilled the ball at Harvey, with the Blues custodian spilling the ball at the feet of a delighted Wharton, who tucked the ball home.

Parity lasted barely a minute before the hosts scored what proved to be the winner. Substitute Jude Tripconey led another attack down the left with his low cross being met by Wilson, who smashed the ball past Barnes to seal another remarkable late victory.

Helston: Harvey, Walter (Bye 60), Burdon, Bentley, Jewell, Storey, Payne (Hands 76), Colwell, Wilson, Elliott, Copp (Brown 87).

Sub (unused): Searle.

Falmouth: Barnes, Kellow, Moxham, Webber, Annear, Gordon-Dunn, Barner, Calleja-Stayne (Wharton 74), Brabyn, Hutchison, Nixon.

Subs (unused): Davies, Swan, Everall.


Subscribe to our FREE WEEKLY Newsletter!

Keep your town in your pocket.

Related Articles

Virgin Orbit\'s Cosmic Girl arrived at Spaceport Cornwall ahead of its first launch (Image: Richard Whitehouse/LDRS)
Local News

Cornwall Council explain £1 million pay-out to Virgin Orbit

Matt Charman presenting the cheque to the girls at FCYFC
Local News

Cornwall Appliances donates £1000 to Falmouth girls youth football teams

Nub News Logo

Sign-up to the Falmouth Nub News weekly newsletter

Subscribe now for weekly updates of local news and sport from your town. Plus what's on near where you live - and local homes for sale. All delivered straight to your in-box, every Friday.

We won't pass your details on to anyone else. By clicking the sign-up button you agree to our Privacy Policy.

Nub NewsLetter!

Every week, we send you a round up of Local News, What's On and more from around Falmouth. Sign up for FREE now.